In 1902, recognizing the need for workers’ housing, Woodlawn began a development of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom rental units in the section of Wilmington between Union Street and the B&O Railroad, from 4th Street to 7th Street. Twenty rows of houses were erected over a 10-year period, providing housing for 390 families. Additions through the years brought the number to 473 and extended the “flats” to 9th Street. These rental units represented a distinct innovation in housing. Utilities were modern and the company established a repair shop in the district to respond to maintenance needs. Front and back yards were provided, as well as a five-acre park and playground along 4th and Ferris Streets. Rents were moderate. While most housing construction at the time was oriented towards owner-occupied, single-family houses, Woodlawn’s focus on neighborhood-based rental housing at affordable rates was unusual and proved successful.
Woodlawn housing has been owned, operated, maintained and upgraded by Woodlawn over the years without subsidies, and continues to be among the most desirable, affordable rental housing in the city.
To see the types of housing that Woodlawn has available for rental, click on the Affordable Housing and/or Country Living sections of our website.